Saturday, September 11, 2010

How We Started Our Patriots Day

Chris & I went to the main firehouse this morning for "The Longest Breakfast Table in Waterford." For a suggested donation you get bad pancakes and sausages, but the food obviously isn't the point.  The $ collected are for injured police & fire fighters and the families of those we have lost.

It happened to fall on 9/11 this year which made it very poignant. I was surprised that Chris & I were the only ones going around and shaking the police officers & fire fighters hands and thanking them for what they do.


I was fighting back tears all morning & then they had the piper in full regalia play Amazing Grace after the chaplain had a moment of silence & of course I lost it. Unfortunately we were sitting next to an ass-hat who chose this moment to degrade his wife for being "stupid" because she forgot to record a show for him yesterday, classy!

The while walking around, looking at the engines, I happened to ask Lieutenant Matthews how much the fire gear weighed & that's when this happened!



I wanted to take that little blonde boy home with me!

I couldn't believe how heavy that equipment was, my knees kept buckling!  I even got to breathe through the respirator, Darth Mimi at your service.

Lieutenant Matthews was awesome & I had a crowd of about 20 or 30 people watching me by the end!  I still don't know how I ended up being brave enough to do it, but I loved every minute of it.

It was a great way to remember the fallen of 9/11 and help a good cause at the same time!

5 comments:

Pat Wahler said...

That is so cool! I'm glad you got a chance to thank those who daily put their lives on the line.

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

He & Me + 3 said...

What an awesome way to spend 9/11. You look great in these pictures. :) Love the gear

Sueann said...

Totally cool!! You look great in that gear!! Yep! Darth Mimi for sure! Ha!
And definitely a poignant way to spend 9/11! Let us hope that we in America never forget what occurred on that day!!
And as for the asshat...well I hope he tripped and fell on the way out of the building! Creep!
Hugging you
SueAnn

Amy said...

how amazing are you.. That is wonderful.. I am so proud of you for doing this. Yeah..

Sandra said...

Awwww, I love this! Good for you! And what a terrific way to show these people the amount of respect you have for them and their services.