Friday, April 24, 2009

Repurposing!

This morning I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond, which happened to be next to a Michael's, so I obviously had to go there, too!

At BB&B I bought this

Photobucket

Let's pray it looks good in my bathroom.

Anyway, at Michaels I found this ribbon in some dried mud in the parking lot.

Photobucket

At first I heard in my head the voices of my mom, my husband, etc. "Don't pick that up, it's filthy!" But I did pick it up brought it home, washed it in the sink & now I have this for a nice fall arrangement or project. It's really pretty.

Photobucket

That got me thinking about a couple of other things I do. You may already do them, but maybe not.

The plastic packaging with a zipper from my shower curtain will be saved for something like this.

Holiday placemats & table runners.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The big ones from comforters and such are used for seasonal quilts.

Lastly, I use the light weight paper bags for wrapping paper.

Photobucket

(That is my first attempt at stamping & coloring it in. Not bad, huh?)

Besides regular recycling, what do you do to repurpose everyday items?

7 comments:

said...

That's a great looking shower curtain. And heck, I would've picked that ribbon up too, firmly squelching any thoughts about dirt. And germs. ;o)

I also hate to throw out those zippered plastic pouches from shower curtains, pillow cases, etc. so I use them the same way you mentioned. Keeps the cats from finding the off-season blankets and using them for beds!

And that stamp looks great. Looks like a beautiful drawing!

Furry Bottoms said...

very very resourceful and creative! I like that shower curtain. I've always had my eye on a patchwork quilt shower curtain, but they're never to be found! Arugh.

He & Me + 3 said...

I use diaper wipe containers to hold pens/pencils/markers and even the girls hair ties.
I use those zipper bags like you do too.
Great job with the stamping too.

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

Ohhhh! I love this post. I repurpose all sorts of things. I, too, use zippered plastic bags (or some times they have snaps) for all sorts of things.

I use my kids artwork for greeting cards or wrapping paper. I use empty clean containers from my kitchen (yogurt or spices for example) for my kids play kitchen. I'm sure there is a ton more...but I'm ehausted and my brain isn't working quite right!

Diane said...

i reuse pretty much anything i can. containers of every sort. and i keep a lot of "trash" for art. i also pick up a lot of "trash" for art. sometimes art ain't pretty. (lol)

cute shower curtain!

Fifi Flowers said...

SOunds like you had a good day! NOW ENJOY your weekend!
Fifi

Jennifer said...

Those are all great ideas! I love the idea of the zippered bags for placemats and cloth napkins--mine are always getting dusty.