Friday, November 6, 2009

Iron Chef ~ Mimi Style

Photobucket


OK, I guess technically this is Iron Chef, Heidi style, but hey it's my blog, right?

The awesome and beautiful queen of motherhood and sarcasm, Heidi of Sacred and Profane, hosts a monthly Iron Chef contest.

This month the category is Holiday Side Dishes. Well I have what I have been told is the best sweet potato recipe ever created and I, Mimi, am willing to share it with you, my faithful readers. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas I am required to make this recipe. My family doesn't even care if I show up, as long as I get the Sweet Potato Crisp to the dinner table on time.

Mimi's Famous Sweet Potato Crisp

1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 40 oz. can cut sweep potatoes, drained
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped apples (I usually use granny smith)
2/3 cup chopped cranberries (I usually used the Ocean Spray cranberry Crasins)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup old fashioned or quick oats, uncooked
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup margarine or butter
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Preheat over to 350 degrees.

Beat cream cheese, potatoes, 1/4 cup brown sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl at medium speed until well blended.

Spoon into 1 1/2 quart casserole or 10 x 6 inch baking dish.

Top with apples and cranberries.

Stir together flour, oats and 1/2 cup brown sugar in medium bowl; cut in margarine or butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over fruit.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Makes 8 servings.

*I ususally double this recipe and use my Kitchen Aid mixer to mix the cream cheese & potato mixture, then bake it in 2 dishes.

This is really a nice change from the usual sweet potato, marshmallow side dish.

Iron Chef Mimi, signing off!

13 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

I do not like sweet potatoes AT ALL, but Thomas does. I think I might make this for him this year!

You're such a doll!

BTW, Bella calmed down and promptly fell asleep on my chest!!!! That kid needs her sleep!

Diane said...

there are a few ingredients i'm a little weird about in this... but i would def try it!! in fact, i've made a personal vow to try more new foods this holiday season. i'm 37 years old for goodness sake! i need to get over this picky thing. i might find some new things i like!

Ricepatty said...

What a nice combination of flavors - that sounds delish! I may have to add that to my Thanksgiving table.

said...

I am SO making this! Thank you Chef Mimi!

He & Me + 3 said...

My husband loves sweet potatoes I should try this for him.

heidi said...

You flatter me.

I like it.

;-)

You're all linked up! Thanks for entering.

Emily@marvelousrecipes.net said...

I have to agree that this is probably the best sweet potato recipe I have ever heard! I will certainly have to try it and share with my best friend Judi who dearly loves sweet potatoes!

Amy said...

Wow... Look at you go...

Liz Mays said...

OH yummy, yummy! I never thought about a crisp. Sounds so good.

Cheryl said...

I'm not a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but these sound pretty good. :-)

said...

Pam, I'm making this today!

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

Anonymous said...

You have tested it and writing form your personal experience or you find some information online?