Friday, September 3, 2010

Gastroparesis On Television!

Well I never knew I could be so excited about someone talking about a chronic illness, but since it's one of my chronic illnesses I wanted to share it with you.  The Today Show featured a 14 year old girl who suffers from gastroparesis, the same condition I have.  Her's is more severe than mine, I only needed a feeding tube for about a  month.

Also she still has an appetite, which I do not.  I have not felt one twinge of hunger since October & may never feel it again.  Now that seems like a good thing to me as I can't imagine the hell of feeling hungry 24/7, but not being able keep in any food.

I think there is a commercial before you can see the piece, but it is really informative about GP.



It was so bizarre watching this clip, it made me cry.  It feels like some kind of validation that yes I am seriously ill and there are others out there who suffer from the same thing.

My doctors are not currently considering a pacemaker for me as I'm able to keep enough food down to maintain my weight for now.  It's mostly smoothies & ice cream, but I miss steamed veggies!

9 comments:

Carolina said...

Hmm, I can imagine you feel some sort of acknowledgement. Sounds like a very painful and nasty disease. Can you only eat smoothies and ice cream? That must be boring after a while. How about your energy level? And your vitamins?
So, eventually an option for you could be this pacemaker?

I'm so sorry Pam, that you have to go through this.

Big hug for you!

~Skiver~ said...

http://picasaweb.google.com/omchiew/OimengSPicturesOfSanta#5284597845599682194

Emily said...

I did not know you were only able to have smoothies and ice cream! And to not ever feel hungry must be kind of weird after all the years you were able to eat anything. I an so glad you are able to maintain your weight and not have to have a pacemaker! Thanks for sharing this Pam. I now have a greater understanding of just what you endure. *Hugs* and *prayers* for you!

Amy said...

Oh I am so glad you got to see this. I think it is interesting to watch something you relate to. I hope things do get better for you. Have a great weekend.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

OK. Now I know what you have to go through, I don't think I can complain about my food intolerances. They're easy compared to that... My tag line is that I love food, it just doesn't love me!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Hugs honey!! Validation is important, although we never doubted you were sick! I hope this gets controlled someday so you can enjoy good food again. I had to laugh that you missed veggies...not sweets! Get better and then come visit me for all the Italian culinary goodness. By then I'll know all the BEST places to go...... :D

Doodles said...

I am so sorry to hear that you have this and I will keep you in my prayers. I have always enjoyed reading your blog and hope that I am able to start blogging 1/2 as often as you do. :)

Amy said...

I hope you had a great time with your friends. Enjoy your Labor Day..

Rachael said...

Thank you for sharing this, I have wondered about it before but been too lazy to look it up apparently. It is good that you feel validation, because sometimes when it's an everyday thing it's easy to forget that it IS a hardship, and it's okay to feel that way. I didn't realize your diet was so restricted, maybe one day this kind of surgery will become common to help with this illness!