Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Drawbridge

When I went to visit my beautiful friend Diane from Good Mourning Glory a few weeks ago, I got lost.  That is not news, I get lost a lot.  I was stuck in a scary part of Detroit while I had to wait for a drawbridge to let a freighter pass through.  I would have enjoyed the event more if I wasn't concerned for my life, but it was still somewhat cool.  (There are nice parts of Detroit, for those of you who only know what you hear on the national news.)

The pics are from my cell phone, thru my car window, so they aren't the best quality.  You can watch the progression of the boat going under the bridge.  It took about a half an hour in total.






Living around international waters I have seen lots & lots of freighters in my time, but never one while sitting in the inner city. 

Once the bridge went down, I got out of there and found the lovely neighborhood Diane lives in safe & sound!

Fun fact: Michigan is the only place in the continental United States that is actually north of Canada.  Windsor, Ontatio sit across the Detroit river, south of most of Michigan.

9 comments:

Diane said...

lol i'm glad you mentioned that my neighborhood is lovely. cuz it really is! lol it's not my fault the ghetto isn't too far away! that really is a VERY scary area!!!

loving the labels too! diane, drama...

kinda funny that the both of us have getting lost drama when we visit each other!! :( i almost had a heart attack that night i got lost in downtown hamtramck!! but, seeing you was worth it!!!!!

theUngourmet said...

Glad you made it! Getting lost isn't fun. I loved your fun fact!

Mimi N said...

I don't get lost often, thanks to my dad, and by the way we call them "Adventures". BUT, I hate to spend any amount of time in "seedy" areas. Being a country girl is good enough for me.

~Meems

Carolina said...

Only knowing the USA from television series like: Crime Scene Investigation, Murder She Wrote, Cold Case, Law and Order and more of those fun titles, I was expecting to see a totally different series of photographs. I'm almost disappointed.
Almost. ;-)

Liz Mays said...

You make me giggle, Diane!

Liz Mays said...

I meant, Mimi!

Liz Mays said...

I was thinking about you visiting Diane. Ok, is this enough comments to clarify that? I promise I know who you are!

Khadra said...

I live in Oklahoma now, but I am actually from Ontario. I have family in Toledo so Ive been in Detroit quite a bit. My not so favorite memory involves me, lost, alone, in the dark, in the not so nice area of Detroit. Talk about stress!!! I was driving, but sure that would be thew time when my car would break down. It didnt thankfully!!

I get lost a lot too!

Queenie Jeannie said...

I'm glad you made it there ok!! And that's a trivial pursuit question that I DID get right, lol!

Love you!