Monday, January 26, 2009

Musical Monday

Musical Monday


Music, more than anything else, can take me back to a place in time. Good ones & bad ones. That's why I love Music Memory Monday hosted by Diane & Jori.

Elvis. Do NOT leave me a comment dissin' Elvis. Fat or skinny, the man had an amazing voice. I think it's just hearbreaking that people took advantage of him, used him up, to the point of ruination.

Did you know that the only international concerts Elvis ever played were 5 concerts in Canada in 1957? His "manager" Colonel Tom Parker was legally unable to leave the country, so Elvis didn't do any world tours.

Anyhow, this is a fun song that Chris & I found when we were on one of our infamous road trips in northern Michigan. It's just so happy & full of 70's silliness that it makes us smile. Chris knows that this is one of the songs that he can play for me, that will make me smile, no matter what.

How do you not smile at the line, "But we've yet to taste the icing on the cake that we've been baking with the past"? Pure 70's genius I say!

And really, the little teen girls can yell about the Jo Bros' all they want, but none of them is gonna look like this anytime soon!

Photobucket
The Next Step Is Love
BTW ladies, if you've never seen what all the fuss about Elvis is try watching his 68 comback special. The black leather is killer!

8 comments:

Diane said...

my freakin speakers aren't working so i can't hear anything!! :(

but, yes, i will be a part of the "no dissin' the king" posse. he was soooooo handsome. (not so much in the latter part of life, but when he was young, omg.)

i was just discussing with someone the other day the plans i have for my dream house. which WILL include a shrine to the king. whenever that happens, i'll take pics. but don't hold your breath! lol

Lapa37 said...

My mom LOVES Elvis I think he was pretty good not really my kind of music though.But after it being drilled into my head for YEARS... I know about a million of his songs.And your right the comeback special was great ad he did look kind of sexy.

jori-o said...

I'm a Vegas girl, so trust me, there wil be NO dissin' the King from me! =) He was a hottie, and man, that velvet voice...whoooooweee! Great pick!

The Me/ The Wife/ The Mom said...

When I was 8 or 9 years old, I was walking through a store called "Clover" with my Dad and begged him to buy me a record album. It was Elvis Presley's Greatest Hits. (well..some of them anyway). My father smiled and bought it happily. I listened to that album daily, over and over and over. And one day...the realization hit he had died. I cried. I mourned his death a few years after he actually died. And everytime I hear some good old Elvis...it makes me kinda teary that the guy is gone.

He & Me + 3 said...

Seriously, i have two uncles that sing just like Elvis...we love it when they sing his songs too. Stuntman is sitting here and when i scrolled down he said..."is that Elvis?" he knows! too funny!

Sujomi said...

I *heart* Elvis. As a matter of fact, our wedding song was Elvis' "Can't Help Falling in Love"

And I have been to Graceland (the Promised Land!). My cousin and I took a road trip back in 1990!

Valerie said...

You are speaking my language girl!!

I have absolutely loved this man forever and forever. I have so many of his songs that my family rebels against me - see my post (http://valeriegail.blogspot.com/2008/12/elvis-and-singing-reindeer.html) I think you will enjoy it.

You are right no one will ever have the talent that Elvis had. He could sing any type of music and it sounded great. So glad you picked him and love this song!

Margo said...

Fabulous song... I just feel a little happier now. I've always secretly loved The King.